An annuity can offer tax-deferred growth and value and options for a stream of payments beginning immediately or at some future date. Annuities are typically used as a retirement funding vehicle.
Fixed Annuities vs. Variable Annuities
Fixed annuities pay interest at rates set and guaranteed by the issuing insurance company.
With variable annuities, annuity value and earnings fluctuate with the market value of the underlying sub accounts chosen by the annuity owner. If you surrender your contract, the amount you receive may be less than the amount you contributed due to market fluctuations.
Considerations when Purchasing an Annuity
You may want to consider the following when purchasing an annuity:
- Annuities are tax-deferred; the contract owner does not pay taxes on the growth of their investment until withdrawals begin
- Annuities are designed for long-term investing and there are generally surrender charges for early withdrawal
- Withdrawals prior to age 59 ½ may be subject to a 10% IRS penalty
- Additional benefits are available under riders at an additional cost
- Depending on the contract you purchase, if you surrender your contract you may receive less than the money you put into it
- Any annuity is dependent on the continued claims-paying ability of the issuing insurance company
Learn more about fixed and variable annuities. To speak with an M&T Securities registered representative, contact us online for your personal or business needs, or stop by any M&T Bank branch today. We can also be reached at 1-800-724-9949.